Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Homemade Yogurt

I love Greek yogurt.  Of course, all the healthier food is also more expensive.  I had received a yogurt maker as a wedding shower present and, looking for a healthy cheaper alternative, I pulled it out and decided to give it a try.  I made the basic recipe, no flavors added, and it turned out tasting just like the plain Greek yogurt from the store!


First, you bring milk (just milk) to a boil on the stove and then let it cool back down.  After cooling, you'll need to follow the directions on the yogurt starter package.  Basically all you have to do is open and pour and stir.  Simple, no?


Then you evenly pour the milk into the glass jars and put them in the yogurt maker for 7 hours (since I used whole milk).


After 7 hours, my yogurt was done and ready to go in the fridge!  How easy is that?!  I added honey to sweeten the yogurt right before eating.  I also tried coconut balsamic vinegar and lime olive oil in different jars and was pleased with the results!

I'd love to know if you make your own yogurt, especially if you've found some great flavors you like!  My yogurt maker is from Williams-Sonoma.

No comments:

Post a Comment